Thursday 13 June 2024

 

Good News!

DNY59/Getty Images

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words of support. I was really touched by all of your comments. I am happy to report that after a very harrowing week, Oliver is home. 

There are a lot of lessons in what happened to him, but I am a little too close to it to write something meaningful at the moment. 

When I was in the thick of things in the ICU, I was surviving on Barebell’s protein bars because they are the only ones I like and that also fill me up. I kept a stash in my bag so I could gulp one quickly outside of his room (he was not allowed to eat any food at that point and was hungry, so I didn’t want to eat around him when possible). The protein bars got the job done during the time of crisis, but once Oliver started to improve, I realized I felt awful. Yes, the lack of sleep was a big part of it (I slept in his ICU room in what seemed like 30-60-minute spurts), but I also needed food that wasn’t a protein bar. Specifically, I was craving food with fiber. I reminded myself that taking care of me would help me take care of him. So, during the last couple of days of his hospitalization, once he had stabilized, I was able to pop home to make a few meals and eat them quickly or bring them back to the hospital. And since he’s been home, I’ve continued to make some of my least labor-intensive meals because I’m exhausted, and adding extensive meal prep and kitchen clean-up isn’t going to help. 

I wanted to share three of these recipes with you because, if you are like me, there are times you are probably looking for super easy meal ideas that still deliver in the flavor and health department. Although to be fair, you can hardly call these recipes; they are more like assemblings. Long-time followers of mine know I am a fiber evangelist, so I have listed the approximate fiber content for each recipe. 

I will be back to posting regular content tomorrow. I just read an interesting study on probiotics for osteoporosis prevention that I’m eager to share, and I am also working on a post on brain fog. 

Breakfast Chia, Oats, and Mango

This is my go-to version of overnight oats, but it also includes chia seeds because I love the way they taste and their texture, and they have fiber, protein, and calcium. You do not need to prepare this the night before; sometimes, I eat them after an hour or so. I like to make this in a glass jar with a pretty lid because then I feel extra fancy when eating it. This is for one serving. 

  • ¼ cup oatmeal

  • 2 tbsp chia seeds

  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk.

    •  I typically use the So Delicious brand, but when that’s not available, I just choose one with added calcium. This is not the coconut milk that comes in a can. It’s like soy or almond milk, which you can also use. Soy milk gets you more protein. I used unsweetened because the sweetened versions all taste overly sweet to me.

  • 1 mango, cubed (but you can sub any fruit, about ¾ of a cup, or more if you want) 

  • 1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut

Mix well. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of shredded unsweetened coconut on top and let sit in the fridge for one hour to overnight. Here I am with my jar at the hospital, waiting for Oliver to be discharged. Fiber: 16 g (depends on fruit). 

Falafel Bowl

This falafel is from the Trader Joe’s mix because making it from scratch right now is more effort than I have to give. I bake them. Would they taste better fried? Sure, I think everything does, but I don’t own a fryer. Also, they taste pretty good baked (an air fryer works well too). This meal relies heavily on Trader Joe’s because I don’t just use their falafel mix; I use their hummus and tzatziki as well. They apparently also have a vegan tzatziki.

I make three falafel (⅓ cups of the mix) and add them to a bowl of cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, black olives, dill pickles, and chopped onion. I sprinkle with a tablespoon of feta cheese. Top it with a couple of tablespoons of hummus and the tzatziki dip, and you have a super tasty meal! This has about 16 g of fiber (obviously, it depends on the choice and amount of veggies and how many falafel you use). 

There are only 2 falafel in the photo because I ate one while assembling the bowl. Oops. 

Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs in Green Salsa with Black Beans

  • Chicken thighs

  • Green salsa (I used about one jar per pound of chicken because my kids like the extra sauce for dipping) 

  • Can of black beans

  • Bay leaf

  • Diced red onion (about ½ an onion)

  • ¼ tsp chicken stock base (Better than Bouillon)

  • 1 tsp cumin

  • Tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory whole wheat 4 net carb tortillas as they have 14 g of fiber each! We accidentally bought them once, and they tasted good. They also work well as a wrap for sandwiches. I never look for low-carb/keto food, so finding them was a happy accident. When I’m not making tortillas, I use these for their fiber).

  • Toppings: avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, red onion

Put chicken thighs (I used 2 lbs; we’re going for leftovers) in the slow cooker with enough green salsa to almost cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Always check to make sure your chicken is cooked appropriately! 

About 30 minutes before you want to eat, rinse a can of black beans and heat in a saucepan with enough water so it’s almost soupy. I don’t have a better description, sorry. Full disclaimer: I am not a professional chef! Add the cumin, bay leaf, Better than Bouillon, and a sprinkle of diced red onion. Simmer on low for 20 minutes or so. I don’t add salt as the Better than Bouillon has salt. If you want to simmer longer, you may need to add more water. You don’t have to use the Better than Bouillon; I just find that it ups the flavor. They also have a vegetable base for those interested in a vegetarian/vegan option, but I can’t vouch for the taste. 

Assemble the chicken in the tortillas with the toppings of your choice and serve with the beans. I made mine with avocado, cheese, onion, and cilantro and poured some of the soupy, slow-cooked green salsa on top with the beans on the side. Oliver made a chicken quesadilla with his and had the beans on the side, and Victor put it all in one taco. I love Taco Night because everyone gets the version they want!

Fiber: 37 grams (I know!) because I had two tortillas with ½ an avocado and a side of beans. This might be too much fiber for some people, but I am on a fiber quest to see how much I can actually eat and live to tell the tale. It’s sort of my own personal Everest, and I’ll be posting about it soon. Obviously, if you use other tortillas, your fiber count will be different. And don’t forget that avocados don’t just taste great; they have fiber!

And if you are looking for a lentil dish and have just a little more effort to give, check out my French Lentil Nirvana.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Republican Bill Eliminates Covid ‘Vaccine’ Maker Protections to Unleash Wave of Lawsuits Frank Bergman September 28, 2024 - 12:23 pm A new...